8/26/2008

I believe I'm sinking down

And then there are those deep dark secrets.
Everyones got those right?

I doubt anyone ever notices, but I never capitalize the word god. I've recently started following the rest of the formal case rules for the english language (that I am aware of), which, until recently, I had ignored as well. This is because I want to be more serious in my online writings. In case anyone wants to look. But I've decided to continue refraining from capitalizing deities, and my reasoning is as follows: god doesnt deserve to have a capitalized name. In the same way that peasants one day realized their king was just a man, and worthy of no more (or less) respect than any other man (or women), I do not see how a deity could be worth my praise. Assume it (the deity) is anywhere from a modicum to infinitely more intelligent/powerful/knowing/handsome/whatever than I am, why is it that I should go out of my way for his benefit? I am quite privileged on this earth, I was born in a place where government not only left me alone (mostly), it was also willing to step in if people near me tried to not leave me alone. I was born into certain freedoms and rights and protection, that most of humanity, both historically and presently, has not had the benefit of. I was also born into a family with enough money and wisdom to help me become educated. I was born in a time when I could benefit from grand achievements of science and medicine, like sanitation, and a rudimentary understanding of dental hygiene. What is obvious, from this position, (above overwhelming portions of humankind), is that I do not need any more praise or help. Might I get stuck in a rut, and need some rocking to push out? Maybe. And might I lose sight of greater purpose and goals, during times of strained relation and stressed emotion? Of course. But to look at someone less privileged than myself, and ask, or worse, demand their help/support/dedication, would be as selfish as I can imagine being. So I guess I've drifted off topic; to conclude, a god that demands these things of us, less privileged beings, would be far from worthy of worship, and would even earn my contempt.

Beyond the fact that I have good justification for my moral beliefs, why is it assumed that good independent sources are needed? What is wrong with allowing people to decide their own morals? The people who argue with this seem to have an inherent fear of the better nature of humankind.

All of these days where I don't go to work, they feel like weekends.

"The expression “Pour encourager les autres' is a well known quote from Voltaire’s Candide. The full quote is "dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres" - in this country (England), it is good, to kill an admiral from time to time, to encourage the others'). It refers to the fate of Admiral John Byng who was executed in 1757."
To encourage the others.


8·21·08
"Does that help? –Like a big hug with words."
"I'd give my body to be back again, in the rest of the room."


8·25·08
I guess it's just that the things I do aren't that conducive to meeting new people, and so I attach to the people I know fairly strongly, not knowing how to find new people. I've been socializing more though, so maybe that is changing a little bit.

People should put the FBI copyright warning on bootlegs.
Dangerous concentration of Pu?
Volume of atmosphere?
"All this prolonged exposure to radiation is making me thirsty."


8·26·08
"But it's just the way you are,
you don't have to be afraid.
The way you look at the stars,
and how you think that they were made,
The motion will never stop,
turning the night into the day.
You've gone away enough,
when will you decide to stay?
My trouble with everything always is nothing's just right.
Just to figure out nothing could keep you awake half the night.
Not to know what you want is a terrible thing you should fight.
You just suffer for the face of the dark while you wait for the light."

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."
~ Marcus Aurelius

"What are you saying, that, you want to be like me? Understand that, I just barely want to be like me."

We sabotage relationships by not talking things out.
The point is to do it again.

Hypothesis: every rule has an exception.
The hypothesis implies that it itself has an exception, and is therefore false.






I believe im sinking down.
I just dont like it when you leave.
Let yourself feel overwhelmed.
When will you decide to stay?

No comments: